Are you in search of the Best Moisturizer for Psoriasis? If yes, you are in the right place to discover various moisturizers that can help you to manage your psoriasis effectively.
Dryness and itching are the common problems faced by most psoriasis patients. Both dryness and itching are interrelated. Whenever the dryness increases, it can cause itching.
The application of moisturizers in the form of creams or lotions helps to keep skin moist and hydrated. Whenever a psoriatic patient visits a dermatologist and the prescribed medication, they also advise using a good moisturizer to prevent the dryness of the skin.
What does moisturizer do?
Moisturizer is a skincare product derived from natural sources or synthetically created ones that helps in moisturizing, protecting, and lubricate the skin. Psoriasis is an immune-mediated chronic inflammatory disorder of the skin which causes dry skin along with skin plaques.
In humans, these skin lubrication functions are performed by sebum produced in healthy skin by sebaceous glands. If one has a healthy skin body that can keep the skin lubricated naturally and only seasonal changes like winter, one may need external moisturizer. Skin conditions such as psoriasis cause excessive dryness of the skin need the application of moisturizer to manage it effectively along with medications.
A person who has psoriasis will have thickened skin with plaques that appear to be very dry. The dryness can lead to cracking in the skin or produce intense itching, leading to scratching and skin damage.
Suitable moisturizers will prevent dryness and itching so that the healing of psoriasis can occur quickly. Though moisturizers are not a psoriasis treatment, they play a vital role along with prescribed medication for psoriasis.
How do moisturizers work?
Water evaporates continuously from the human body through the skin. This mechanism is known as transepidermal water loss (TEWL).
Moisturizers modify the rate of water loss and helps to keep skin moist whenever they are applied.
There are two key ingredients present in moisturizer, and they are occlusives and humectants.
- Occlusives form a coating on the surface of the skin, keeping moisture from escaping and
- Humectants absorb water from the air and moisturize the skin.
Different types of Moisturizers
Moisturizers are sourced from natural substances or can be produced synthetically.
Petroleum jelly is one of the commonly used and most effective ones.
Coconut oil, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, cocoa butter, isopropyl myristate, isopropyl palmitate, lanolin, liquid paraffin, polyethylene glycols, shea butter, silicone oils, stearic acid, stearyl alcohol, and castor oil, as well as other oils are used as moisturizers alone or mixed with other ingredients.
Moisturizers are also available in the form of lotions, creams, ointments, bath oils, or soap substitutes.
Uses of Moisturizers
Moisturizers are generally used when the skin gets over dry in the winter season to keep the skin lubricated. They also have an important use to treat skin diseases such as psoriasis, ichthyosis vulgaris, xerosis, and pruritus in atopic dermatitis.
Moisturizers are also used in sunscreens, antiperspirants, skin cleansers, shaving creams, aftershaves, and hair tonics.
One should not over-moisturize as it may lead to an allergic reaction or irritant contact dermatitis by altering the normal function of the skin.
Certain ingredients present in moisturizers can show an allergic reaction when applied to the skin. It would be best to read the components present in a moisturizer before buying a moisturizer to prevent any allergic reaction.
Below, you’ll find some of the best moisturizers for psoriasis:
1. Atrisor Moisturizer for Psoriasis, Dry, Itchy, Flaky Skin
Atrisor moisturizer is an effective moisturizing lotion for dry, itchy and flaky skin.
- Excellent for very dry skin
- Reduces dryness, itch and flaking of skin.
- Relieves itch
- Soothes the skin and locks moisture.
- Moisturizes and nbourishes the skin
Ingredients of Atrisor Moisturizer
Each 100ml contains
|1||Processed Narikela Taila (oil of Cocos nucifera)||11 gms|
|2||Extracts of Haridra (Curcuma Longa)||2.5 gms|
|3||Extracts of Nimba (Azadirachta Indica)||2.5 gms|
|4||Extracts of Manjishta (Rubia Cordifolia)||2.5 gms|
|5||Extracts of Streekujaja (Wrightia tinctoria)||2.5 gms|
|6||DM Water||75 gms|
|8||Glycerol Monostearate||2.8 gms|
|11||Stearic Acid||0.5 gms|
|12||Benzoic Acid||0.5 gms|
|13||Cetyl Alcohol||0.5 gms|
Indications and Uses:
- Excellent for very dry skin
- Reduces dryness, itch, and flaking of skin.
- Relieves itch
- Soothes the skin and locks moisture.
- Moisturizes and nourishes the skin
How to use?
Clean the affected area with lukewarm water and apply lotion gently once or twice daily.
2. Eczema & Psoriasis Cream
Soothing Relief From a Natural Cream Made For Results
This is an intense moisturizer that quickly relieves dry, red, irritated, itchy or cracked skin.
Made with a special honey found only in New Zealand, called manuka honey. Its beneficial properties have been known for centuries, but has only recently become widely known. Honey naturally attracts and retains moisture, but this honey is unlike any other honey – because of an enzyme called methylglyoxal that is still being studied to this day.
Why Our Cream Is Truly Better
- Our cream is perfectly pH balanced at 5.5 – just like your own skin. You’ll notice it soaks right in and is non-greasy. It’s for sensitive skin
- Natural ingredients. Steroid-free! 98% natural. 86% organic. Made without fragrance, dyes, petroleum, mineral oil, or harsh preservatives (parabens)
- No water added or cheap fillers. Our first ingredient is organic aloe vera
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera),
- Emulsifying Wax NF,
- Glycerol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride,
- Leptospermum Scoparium (Manuka Honey) Mel,
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter Deodorized,
- Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil,
- Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter,
- Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Carbomer, Tapioca Natural,
- Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Cellulose Gum,
- Sodium Hyaluronate,
- Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, DL-Panthenol (Vitamin B5),
- Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter,
- Olea Europaea Fruit (Olive) Oil,
- Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil,
- L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C),
- Plumeria Alba (Frangipani) Flower Extract,
- Oat Amino Acids, Sodium Hydroxide,
- Cehami (Centipeda Cunninghamii),
- MethylSulfonylMethane (MSM),
- Titanium Dioxide,
- Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate,
- Phenoxyethanol (and) Ethylhexylglycerin
Use to help get relief from the symptoms of skin conditions, such as: eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, rosacea, shingles, sunburn, bug bites, rashes or red, irritated, itchy, dry skin.
Spread on skin and rub in until absorbed. Use 2-3 times daily or more often as needed. For best results, use with our Eczema & Psoriasis Wash – after cleansing the area.
For external use only. Avoid contact with eyes. If any adverse reaction develops, stop use, and contact a physician. We recommend you do a test on a small patch of skin before liberal application, to ensure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients in our cream.
3. Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Body Moisturizer For Dry Skin 24 Hour Moisturization
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Body Moisturizer is just what you need to keep your skin soft and supple. It has a non-greasy formula that spreads evenly on the skin and instantly hydrates even dry, rough skin. This glycerin rich moisturizer is suitable for both men and women and is dermatologically tested.
The Norwegian Formula range contains a powerful moisturizing ingredient, glycerin that draws moisture from the air, and from your own natural reserves deep in the skin. Glycerin, with a combination of emollients, helps hold moisture to relieve even the driest skin.
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Body Moisturizer is...
- This moisturizer locks in the required amount of...
- This body lotion provides moisturization that lasts all...
- Immediately hydrates dry skin; Glycerin-rich,...
- Target Gender: Female
Water, Glycerin, Distearyldimonium, Chloride, Petolatum, Isopropyl Palmitate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Colloidal Oatmeal, Benzyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride.
Uses and Benefits
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Body Moisturizer is specially formulated with skin-friendly ingredients
- This moisturizer locks in the required amount of moisture and instantly hydrates dry or rough skin for a smooth, beautiful look
- This body lotion provides moisturization that lasts all day long
- Immediately hydrates dry skin
- Glycerin-rich, Non-greasy formula
- Mild, yet delightful fragrance
- Dermatologist Tested
4. Shivya Modern Ayurveda Kefi Psoriasis Relief Cream
Shivya is an ayurvedic brand born out of passionate angst serves people after many years of research and studies. The sole aim is to carry forward the age-old legacy of Ayurveda and make them accessible to all with a modern approach.
Amalgamation of herbal ingredient and several inhouse laboratorial researches has made these medicines more efficient with no side effects. Shivyaproducts propagate usage of ayurvedic herbs to cure and eliminate diseases.
The proper description and information about the medicines mentioned on every packaging make the products easy to use. The brand has been launched with all the necessary permissions from AyushMantralaya
This cream is useful in curing skin-related disorders and all types of psoriasis. The main ingredient is coconut oil which is helpful in managing many skin problems.
- This cream is useful in curing skin related disorders...
- Key Ingredients: Cocos nucifera, Cocnut Fr Pp. Oil 70%...
- Indication: Useful in twakvikara, kushtharoga, kitibha,...
- Prevents from Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis,...
- Psoriasis problem with hair, skin and nail
Each 10gms contains
- Cocus nucifera,
- Coconut Fr. Pp. Oil 70%,
- Cream base Q.S
Preservatives: Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate within permitted limit.
Uses and Benefits
- This cream is useful in curing skin-related disorders and all types of psoriasis. The main ingredient is coconut oil which is helpful in managing many skin problems
- Indication: Useful in twakvikara, kushtharoga, kitibha, ekakushtha (Helpful in skin disorder, all types of psoriasis)
- Prevents from Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis, Effective in skin itching scaling and redness problems, 100% Ayurvedic treatment, and safe to use
- Psoriasis problem with hair, skin, and nail
How to use?
Clean the affected area with antiseptic soap and water. Pat dry. Apply cream twice daily or as directed by the physician.
Moisturizers are part of psoriasis treatment. Choosing the right moisturizer for psoriasis helps in keeping skin smooth, prevents cracking of skin and itching. Know the ingredients of the moisturizer to avoid any adverse effects. Most of the moisturizers used advised for psoriasis patients come in various forms, such as creams and lotions.
People are choosing moisturizers that are made up of natural ingredients rather than synthetically prepared. It is better to use a nonfragranced moisturizer and made with natural ingredients.